One of my pet peeves is fuckwad Christians calling homosexuality "same-sex attraction" in their attempt to cast homosexuality as some curable disorder and eliminate it as part of one's identity, which is intellectually dishonest and just another attempt at propagating their hateful, bigoted, anti-gay rhetoric.
The Catholic Medical Association (LOL) published "Homosexuality and Hope", which contains the following nonsense trying to find preventable causes for homosexuality. Note how utterly ridiculous all of this is:
In the histories of persons who experience same-sex attraction, one frequently finds one or more of the following:
- Alienation from the father in early childhood because the father was perceived as hostile or distant, violent or alcoholic.
- Mother was overprotective (boys)
- Mother was needy and demanding (boys)
- Mother emotionally unavailable (girls)
- Parents failed to encourage same-sex identification
- Lack of rough and tumble play (boys)
- Failure to identify with same/sex peers
- Dislike of team sports (boys)
- Lack of hand/eye coordination and resultant teasing by peers (boys)
- Sexual abuse or rape
- Social phobia or extreme shyness
- Parental loss through death or divorce
- Separation from parent during critical developmental stages
In some cases, same-sex attraction or activity occurs in a patient with other psychological diagnosis, such as:
- major depression
- suicidal ideation
- generalized anxiety disorder
- substance abuse
- conduct disorder in adolescents
- borderline personality disorder
- pathological narcissism
In a few cases, homosexual behavior appears later in life as a response to a trauma such as abortion, or profound loneliness.
I think about 99% of the population can probably fit into one of those categories.