So, this year has been interesting so far for the following reasons:
- PhD finally done after forever. Completely, 100% done. Before I was often on the verge of being done but there was one thing left to do or one checkpoint that remained that depended on the schedules of other people. Now my thesis is published and finished.
- Still ploughing ahead with Mandarin, which is pretty much the focus of my life when I'm not watching TV, working on research type stuff, or spending time with friends. Progress is annoyingly glacial, which I hear is very common at the upper-intermediate level for most people.
- For variation, I started learning Classical / Literary Chinese, which is the form of written Chinese that was used from about 600 BCE to 1900 CE or so. It's helping me better understand Chinese characters, since most of the same characters are used today (only in somewhat different ways), and it's allowing me to expand my knowledge of Chinese culture, history, and literature, which is awesome.
- Spending way too much time arguing with buttfuck homophobic retards on YouTube. January resolution: stop doing it, since it stopped being fun and entertaining about two hours after I started.
- Still unemployed *ugh*, but there are now some extremely interesting possibilities that have come up and found me. I'm not going to go into details until I have more information or they become definite things, but I'm feeling very optimistic, which is nice after months of feeling horribly depressed over the difficulties I was having even generating interest when last time I tried to find a job, I couldn't turn down job offers fast enough :/.
- Rekindling some friendships that much need to be rekindled. Another massive highlight.
That pretty much sums things up over here. How is the apocalypse (i.e. post Dec 21, 2012) treating you?